Monday, August 18, 2014

Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista by Aven Ellis

(Image found on Goodreads)
"Suddenly I’m impressed with my own resilience. I’m going to make it through my financial crisis just fine." -Aven Ellis, Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista

Avery has gotten a good job after recently graduating. But what she didn't tell her bosses is that she's afraid of flying - and her new job is at an airlines. But then people go around judging her to be nothing more than a husband-hunting Fashionista. When an opportunity comes her way to hopefully prove them wrong, Avery scoops it up. But when she meets the man behind the camera, Deke, she finds herself working to earn those things she wasn't supposed to have. Now if she succeeds or not is all up to her. Find the official description on Goodreads.

This book seems to be all about judging a book by its cover and stereotypes. Honestly, at first, before I knew who Avery really was, I saw her as nothing but the shallow, husband-hunting fashionista she was being judged as. Honestly before I got the chance to really understand who Avery was, I thought that. But once I got deeper into the book, it was easy to see that while Avery did want a husband and kids someday, and was interested in fashion, it wasn't all that she was. She was a bright young woman, who could do more than just go on about the latest fashion styles. It was humbling to see my opinion be changed and it definitely taught me a lesson.

Then there were the situations that Avery would get into. Honestly it seemed like fate was intervening to make things worse than it could possibly be. And I laughed almost the whole way through. Although I also felt embarrassment for her as well. It was fun and light.

Then there was Deke. He was a bit of hot and cold. I had to admit that it took me a little while to warm up to him. Especially after the first impression we were given of him. But once again, I was proven wrong. By the end of the book, I had fallen for the shy Deke that we met and I had to admit that he was really good for Avery.

The biggest thing throughout the book is different people playing games. Both Avery and Deke did in some ways as well as the other characters that we were interested in that also were in a relationship or looking for one. It was frustrating and I wasn't a big fan of seeing them play out. Mostly because in the case of Avery and Deke someone gets hurt. 

But overall, Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista was a light read that also teaches readers a lesson. Aven Ellis continues with her great writing and I can't wait to read more from her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!