Saturday, March 22, 2014

Unfinished Business by Carolyn Ridder Aspenson

(Image found on Goodreads.)
"I told her how much I loved her, how much she impacted my life." -Carolyn Ridder Aspenson, Unfinished Business

Unfinished Business is the story of Angela Panther, the first in the Angela Panther Series actually. Angela's mother has died, and yet Angela is still seeing her. Now she must deal with a gift that she doesn't want and trying to balance the rest of her life; children that she worries about, her mother popping by randomly and serving up some wicked humour. This is only the beginning for Angela. She must find a way to keep her life somewhat normal and yet balance this new gift. For the official description, look on Goodreads.

What can I say about this book? It was an amazing book, one that I will go back and read again and again. Angela and her mother, even with her mother dead, has this amazing banter that you can't help but chuckle at.
It seems to natural, something that any mother-daughter duo could do and yet it's amazing because of the fact that Angela's mother, Fran, is a ghost. Then there's the difficulties that come from having a teenage daughter and you get a glimpse into Angela's mind about what she sometimes thinks about her daughter. And while those thoughts aren't always loving, you can tell that Angela loves her daughter just from her manner. The same can be said for her son. Carolyn Ridder Aspenson breathes lives into these characters, both the ones I've mentioned and the ones I haven't. She creates characters that are almost real. They have flaws and they are described so that you could actually imagine them standing in front of you, throwing their witty lines around. Carolyn has created a world that draws the reader in and makes time fly.

Unfinished Business made me laugh, and it made me cry. Again this is due to the genius of the author. She creates a world in which you are drawn in, and since you are drawn in, you can't help but laugh and cry along with the characters. It is truly a gift when an author can make their audience feel such emotions, and it's one of the many jewels of this book. It also brings up the difficulty that can be found after a loved one's death and that really touched me. It was an amazing read from the front cover to the very end and I can't wait until the sequel is released!

Overall this is a book that anyone and everyone can enjoy, so why not give it a shot? But make sure you have a tissue or two handy. Trust me, you'll thank me later. If you've read Unfinished Business or anything by Carolyn Ridder Aspenson, I'd love to hear your thoughts and even if you haven't, please let me know what you think about the book without reading it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much for the amazing review! I'm going to print it out and FRAME IT! You just completely made my day!!!!!! I'm seriously in tears (and I don't cry, except when I'm pms-ing!) Thank yo so, so much for reading my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could make your day! It's nothing but the truth! You're very welcome. Sorry I took so long to reply.

      Aly

      Delete

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!