Monday, March 17, 2014

Just a Little Breather




Okay, so I just felt like it's been about a week or a little longer since I've started posting reviews! Which is great! And some of you have already started commenting on my posts, I love that, by the way! But I thought I'd just do this little post once a week where I ask a question or just talk about what's going on or books I'm looking forward to or things like that that might help me get to know you readers better! For today's topic, I thought we could talk about what kind of readers we are!



I don't know about you but if I get into a book, I find myself devouring it and finishing it pretty quickly, even at the expense of procrastinating. And I also find myself getting really attached to characters, especially those who are around for more than just a few pages. If they're injured or killed, I just completely lose it. It's like I lost someone I personally knew, not a fictional character. That's just how into books I can get. And I find myself inserting myself into their worlds. Maybe reading's just my escape and that's what happens to everyone who finds books as an escapes or maybe it's just me. I'm not quite sure how that works, but I'd really love to hear what kind of readers you guys are! Do you get really into books, or do you feel that you distance yourself a bit? Are you really affected by character's deaths or injuries, even if they're only secondary characters? Please leave your comments! I want to hear all about your experience with reading!

Oh, and don't forget to leave suggestions by using the comments below or using the comment form in the sidebar. I want to know what I can do to make this blog better and what you guys would like to see from it in the future!

2 comments:

  1. That’s a very good question and it depends a lot on the author’s writing style/delivery and the development of his or her characters. I get anxious to continue reading a book when those two elements work together, along with other obvious elements like world-building and dialogue. Nevertheless, I think most of that pertains to everyone‘s reading enjoyment. Therefore, what really may jolt me from doing something such as crying about a character’s death is if it comes across too strongly as a plot device. Or unnecessarily done. I read a lot of mysteries, and what annoys me most is when the author kills a character in a “just because” fashion. That’s when the believability of the story sinks and I start to see more of the author’s voice than her narrative. In a roundabout way, the same can be said for how I feel about romance in a book. Which I think should be handle judiciously outside of the romance genre itself. Anyway, keep those questions coming. You got a good thing going. Hope I didn’t ramble too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do admit that there are characters I've loved more than others, mostly just because of how they're described and/or their development throughout. Sometimes, it just takes more to me to get into a book, because of the description of the character's before their growth or revealing of certain traits make me fall more into the book. I never really thought about it like that before, as I tend to be one of those ones who if I get into a book enough, I don't even notice if it's a "just because" death or maybe I'm just too locked into the plot. But I can see how that would take away from the emotional response of the character's death.

      Thank you! I will! And you didn't ramble at all! I was very interested to hear what you had to say. It made me rethink some of my thoughts on books I've already read.

      Thanks for commenting and I hope to hear more from you in the future!

      Aly

      Delete

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!