Thursday, March 20, 2014

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

(Image found using Google. 
Currently in use on Feeling Fictional)
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.” -Cassandra Clare, City of Bones


City of Bones is set in New York City. There is a world hidden within our own and the main female character, Clary finds herself thrown into it after a break-in takes place at her apartment. She finds herself lost in the mystical world, where angels are real and demons are more than the stuff of your nightmares. Along the way, she learns more about her best friend, Simon, and she meets Jace, Isabelle, Alec, Magnus and Hodge. Clary also learns that things are not always what they appear and that it's not always fun to grow up. For a better description of the book,  feel free to check out the Goodreads page.


I have to admit that I didn't start reading this book until the fourth book was already out. I tried it before and couldn't get into it. But then I decided I haven't got anything else to read so why not try it once more? I did, and I fell in love.
With the characters and their attitudes as well as the plot and the fact that there were hidden things that the human world couldn't see. I found that it was fun to imagine that there was a hidden world that I couldn't see for whatever reason and that drew me in. I loved Clary for the fact that she doesn't let anything break her and she's extremely loyal, not to mention clever and witty. But she also also has her flaws. Jace was great. Sarcastic, a complete butthole, and yet you find that there was a lonely little boy inside of him that was just waiting for the right person to free him. Simon was that friend that's been around forever, so long that you don't even notice that they might feel something more for you or that it could potentially develop into something more. Not to mention he's the one that is completely out of sync with the world Clary finds herself in and yet finds himself jumping in just because she is.  This book was great, and it involved a lot of different things that I enjoyed, but I mostly enjoyed the characters and their interactions. The plot was great, and the part about the Nephilim was interesting but what kept me reading was what would the characters do or say next? I have to say that they were most engaging. 

If you like romance, young adult novels, worlds hidden within our own, werewolves, and evil relatives that pop up, than this is a book that you have to read. Not even joking. Feel free to leave your comments below! I want to hear what you thought about the book and/or the movie, if you've seen it!


-Shy Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say and I'll try to reply to every comment!